The University of Colorado Law School offers students the ability to take an exam using their laptop computer. ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc., through its SofTest product, provides students the ability to take an examination on a computer by providing the instructor the ability to lock down all other Windows applications thereby reducing the risk of violations of the student honor code. Instructors can deliver True/False, Multiple Choice, Fill in the Blank and Essay questions through ExamSoft and can even activate a spell checker for students to use on their essay responses. SofTest serves as a simplified word processor similar to Microsoft Word or Corel WordPerfect for essay responses including cut, copy & paste features, font size & style adjustment, as well as the ability to undo up to 50 previous actions per essay question window.
SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). For specific system requirements, please click on the icon above (Minimum System Requirements).
SofTest has a considerable number of safety features to ensure that answers typed into SofTest cannot be lost. They include:
- An AutoSave feature that automatically saves your exam every sixty seconds.
- Multiple encrypted backup copies of the exam answer file are saved.
- The ability to undo up to 50 of the previous actions per essay question window.
Step 1: Log In ? (30 seconds) Enter your Student ID# and password
Step 2: Download SofTest ? Downloading SofTest takes minutes on high-speed Internet connections and 30 ? 60 minutes on dial-up connections
Step 3: Register SofTest ? (30 seconds) Once registered, you will be notified on-screen that you have completed the process and you will also receive email confirmation. Note that you must register SofTest by the day before your exam or you risk handwriting your exam. If you have any questions or issues with registration, contact ExamSoft technical support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free 866.429.8889.
Sign up with ExamSoft in Step 1 using your CU ID as your Student ID number.
Yes. You will need your ID number and password (the last 6 digits of your CU ID) to register SofTest and to download exam files.
After registering SofTest, you will receive a registration confirmation email from email@example.com and the Registration number along with the registration date will be recorded. Additionally, when SofTest is launched, the Start Window will indicate that your ?Registration? is ?Complete?.
Yes. After registering SofTest, launch the program by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your Windows Desktop. Click the ?Take an Exam? button. On the SofTest Start Window, select the ?Practice Exam? button. This enables you to familiarize yourself with the SofTest exam environment. You may use the Practice Exam as many times as you wish. Note that the Practice Exam cannot be saved, cannot be used until SofTest is registered, but can be printed during the exam. You can also take the Mock Exam, which is similar to the Practice Exam.
If I used SofTest last year, do I have to perform all steps again?
- Register SofTest well before examtime. Note that you can redownload SofTest on additional computers for use as backups, however, you can typically only download exam files once so only do so on the computer you intend to use on exam day.
- Ensure: (1) that your PC meets the specifications listed above, (2) that there is plenty of free hard drive space, (3) that your PC is virus free, and (4) that your PC is free of disk errors by running SCANDISK (click Start Button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scandisk or Disk Cleanup).
- Once you have installed and registered SofTest, familiarize yourself with the software by utilizing the built-in Practice Exam feature.
- SofTest?s opening screen asks for an ID#. Be sure to acquire this number prior to exam day. You will need to use your 4-digit Final Exam Number in this ID field.
- Locate your A/C ? battery power indicator light on your laptop to determine which light indicates you are running on A/C power (i.e. power from a wall outlet).
- Ensure that your battery has at least 20 minutes of charge in it prior to the exam in the event there is a temporary power outage.
- If you encounter issues in your use of SofTest, visit www.examsoft.com/faq
What Must I do on Exam Day?
- Bring your power cord, battery (in the event of power loss), (a flashdrive only if you wish to make another backup copy), and an extension cord. If you normally use an external keyboard and mouse or if you need earplugs, you may bring those as well.
- To download exams, SofTest FlexSite users (i.e. students who download their exams from the Internet) must have the Student ID number and password submitted during Step 1 of the registration process. The password can be changed on ExamSoft?s website.
- Arrive to the exam room at least 15 minutes early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer and follow the instructions provided.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam scores at the end of the academic year.
- Immediately before SofTest launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning.
- Exams will not be delayed or suspended due to computer problems.
- During the exam, use care when highlighting and deleting.
- Students who do not take the time to become familiar with their laptop computer or with word processing functions, should consider handwriting their exams. No administrative relief will be granted for incorrect use of the software.
- Once you register your copy of SofTest, the school will be charged the license fee.
- ANY ATTEMPT TO DISABLE OR TAMPER WITH SOFTEST?S SECURITY FEATURES WILL BE CONSIDERED A VIOLATION OF THE STUDENT HONOR CODE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT AND THE SOFTEST SOFTWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED BY EXAMSOFT ON ITS WEBSITE PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR EXAM. PLEASE ALLOW YOURSELF SUFFICIENT TIME TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH YOUR LAPTOP AND THE APPLICATION. COMMENCEMENT OF THE EXAM WILL NOT BE DELAYED DUE TO A HARDWARE PROBLEM WITH YOUR LAPTOP.