To begin the SofTest installation and registration process, students should read the minimum specs and information above then sign in under 'Exam Takers' to the left.
What is SofTest from ExamSoft?
ExamSoft is a laptop exam software that was piloted by Michigan State University College of Law for summer 2005 and the decision has been made to continue its use. ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc., through its SofTest product, provides students the ability to take an examination on a computer by providing the instructor the ability to lock down all other Windows applications thereby reducing the risk of violations of the student honor code. Instructors can deliver True/False, Multiple Choice, Fill in the Blank Essay questions, and Take-home exams through ExamSoft. Professors can even give permission to activate a spell checker for students to use on their essay responses. SofTest serves as a simplified word processor similar to Microsoft Word or Corel WordPerfect for essay responses including cut, copy & paste features, font size & style adjustment, as well as the ability to undo up to 50 previous actions per essay question window, if a professor will allows these features to be activated.
Will SofTest work on my computer?
SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). For specific system requirements, please click on the icon above (Minimum System Requirements).
SofTest has a considerable number of safety features to ensure that answers typed into SofTest cannot be lost. They include:
- An AutoSave feature that automatically saves your exam every sixty seconds.
- Multiple encrypted backup copies of the exam answer file are saved.
- The ability to undo up to 50 of the previous actions per essay question window.
- At times, just as computers freeze/lock for no apparent reason while using any Windows-based software programs, some computers freeze during an examination. Do not attempt to resolve computer issues on your own no matter how much computer experience you possess. If your computer freezes or malfunctions during the exam, or if you receive any kind of error message, you should immediately notify the proctor. The proctor has been instructed to give you a bluebook, whereby you should begin writing where you left off on the computer.
- Ask the proctor to provide you with a bluebook as soon as you encounter a problem.
- Even if your are unable to reenter an exam for the purpose of allowing you to complete taking it on your computer, the portion of the exam that was completed prior to the freeze will almost certainly be recoverable for grading purposes. You will be provided an opportunity to complete your exam by hand.
Step 1: (30 seconds) Enter your Student ID (PID)# and password
Step 2: Download – Downloading SofTest takes minutes on high-speed Internet connections and 30 – 60 minutes on dial-up connections
Step 3: Register SofTest – (1 minute) Once registered, you will be notified on-screen that you have completed the process and you will also receive a confirmation email to the address you provided in Step 1. Note: You must register SofTest before entering the exam room or you must hand write your exam. If you have any questions or issues with registration, contact ExamSoft technical support at email@example.com or call toll-free 866.429.8889.
Yes. You will need your ID number and password to register SofTest and to download exam files.
After registering SofTest, you will receive a registration confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org and the Registration number along with the registration date will be recorded. Additionally, when SofTest is launched, the Start Window will indicate that your “Registration” is “Complete”.
Yes. After registering SofTest, launch the program by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your Windows Desktop. Click the “Take an Exam” button. On the SofTest Start Window, select the “Practice Exam” button. This enables you to familiarize yourself with the SofTest exam environment. You may use the Practice Exam as many times as you wish. Note that the Practice Exam cannot be saved, cannot be used until SofTest is registered, but can be printed during the exam.
- Register SofTest by the signup deadline. Note that you can redownload SofTest on additional computers for use as backups, however, you can typically only download exam files once so only do so on the computer you intend to use on exam day.
- Ensure: (1) that your PC meets the specifications listed above, (2) that there is plenty of free hard drive space, (3) that your PC is virus free, and (4) that your PC is free of disk errors by running SCANDISK (click Start Button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scandisk or Disk Cleanup).
- Once you have installed and registered SofTest, familiarize yourself with the software by utilizing the built-in Practice Exam feature.
- SofTest’s opening screen asks for an ID#. Be sure to acquire this number prior to exam day. You will need to use your Exam Permit Number in this ID field. (Please Note: Your ID# must contain four digits. If your Exam Permit Number is not four digits, you must add enough zeros before typing your permit number to have four digits.)
- Locate your A/C – battery power indicator light on your laptop to determine which light indicates you are running on A/C power (i.e. power from a wall outlet).
- Ensure that your battery has at least 20 minutes of charge in it prior to the exam in the event there is a temporary power outage.
- If you encounter issues in your use of SofTest, visit www.examsoft.com/faq
What Must I do on Exam Day?
- Bring your power cord and battery (in the event of power loss). If you normally use an external keyboard and mouse or if you need earplugs, you may bring those as well.
- To download exams, SofTest FlexSite users (i.e. students who download their exams from the Internet) must have the Student ID number and password submitted during Step 1 of the registration process. The password can be changed on ExamSoft’s website.
- Arrive to the exam room at least 15 minutes early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer and follow the instructions provided.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam grades at the end of the academic year.
- Immediately before SofTest launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning.
- If your computer freezes or malfunctions during the exam, immediately switch to a bluebook and begin writing where you left off on ExamSoft. No additional time to complete your exam will be provided due to computer problems.
- During the exam, use care when highlighting and deleting.
- Students who do not take the time to become familiar with their laptop computer or with word processing functions, should consider handwriting their exams. No administrative relief will be granted for incorrect use of the software.
- ANY ATTEMPT TO DISABLE OR TAMPER WITH SOFTEST’S SECURITY FEATURES WILL BE CONSIDERED A VIOLATION OF THE STUDENT HONOR CODE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT AND THE SOFTEST SOFTWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED BY EXAMSOFT ON ITS WEBSITE PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR EXAM. PLEASE ALLOW YOURSELF SUFFICIENT TIME TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH YOUR LAPTOP AND THE APPLICATION. COMMENCEMENT OF THE EXAM WILL NOT BE DELAYED DUE TO A HARDWARE PROBLEM WITH YOUR LAPTOP.