In Spring 2014, St. George’s University will be continuing the use of ExamSoft for the administration of all examinations in the School of Medicine, the School of Veterinary Medicine, and select courses in the school of Arts and Sciences.
All students must download and register SofTest on their laptop at the beginning of the semester. The information on this page is geared toward helping students prepare to use SofTest, the software used to take exams in ExamSoft.
ExamSoft Student Information
To download and register SofTest, students must enter their SGU credentials in the specified fields in the "Exam Takers" box, located at the top left-hand corner of this page, and follow the instructions provided. Students may also click on this link for a step by step guide to downloading and registering SofTest as well as downloading an exam.
If you have any questions or issues with registration, please submit a SHOR ticket at https://shor.sgu.edu -->Student Request --> Software --> SofTest or contact ExamSoft technical support at email@example.com or call toll-free 866-429-8889.
SofTest Frequently Asked Questions
Who is ExamSoft and what is SofTest?
ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc. is a software company specializing in computerized assessment and exam administrative programs.
SofTest is a high stakes assessment program developed and
licensed by ExamSoft that enables exam takers to securely take
examinations downloaded to their own laptops by blocking access to
files, programs and the internet during an exam. ExamSoft’s solution is
an internet-based exam delivery option. Using SofTest, you will download
your exam(s) prior to or on exam day and upload your answer(s) after
the exam via the Internet. You WILL NOT require internet connectivity
during your exam(s). You WILL require internet connectivity to download
your exam(s) and upload your answer(s).
How reliable is SofTest?
SofTest has a considerable number of safety features to ensure that answers typed into SofTest cannot be lost. They include:
- An AutoSave feature that automatically saves your exam every sixty seconds.
- Multiple encrypted backup copies of the exam answer file are saved.
- The ability to undo up to 50 of the previous actions per essay question window.
Minimum System Requirements
Students must use notebook computers with sufficient resources and power. Please note that while iPads and similar devices can be productive tools, they do not meet the requirements of the university. A notebook computer or equivalent should meet the following minimum specifications:
SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). Specific system requirements are noted below.
SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual environments, unless approved by the institution.
- CPU = 2GHz Intel® Core™/Celeron™ or equivalent x86 processor
- RAM = highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
- Hard Drive = highest recommended for the operating system or 1 GB of free space.
- Operating System = English 32-bit Versions of Windows XP, 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. Only genuine versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported.
- ExamSoft does not support Tablet devices
- Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Adobe Reader (Version 9 or 11) is required for exams containing PDF attachments.
- Administrator level account permissions (Instructions)
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 2 GB
- Hard Drive = 1 GB or higher free disk space
- Operating System = OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), OS X 10.7 (Lion), OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), and 10.9 (Mavericks). Only genuine versions of Mac Operating Systems are supported.
- Server version of Mac OS X is not supported
- SofTest may not be used in a virtual operating systems
- Software = Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Administrator level account permissions (Instructions)
Additionally, students are required to have the following:
· 10/100 Ethernet network adapter
· 6’ Ethernet cable
· 802.11a/b/g wireless network adapter
· Universal 110-240V power supply
How do I register SofTest?
The registration process involves the 3-steps needed to acquire SofTest. They begin on our ExamSoft Custom Home Page located at www.examsoft.com/sgu and they are as follows:
Step 1: Log in – Enter your My SGU member center username and password in the “Exam Taker” field
Step 2: Download SofTest – Downloading SofTest takes minutes on high-speed Internet connections, so please allow sufficient time for the process. If ExamSoft directs you to also download .NET Framework x4, then you should do so
Step 3: Reboot & register SofTest – Once rebooted you will be prompted to register. You must enter your username using the prefix “sgu.edu\” (e.g. sgu.edu\jsmith) and your password. You will be notified on-screen that you have completed the process and you will also receive email confirmation. If you have any questions or issues with registration, you will need to send a SHOR ticket to the IT Help Desk
Can I practice using SofTest before my exam?
Yes! You have two options.
1. Mock exam
Your course instructor will create a mock exam so that you can practice and become familiar with the online exam environment before you take an actual exam. After registering SofTest, launch the program by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your desktop. Click “DOWNLOAD EXAM FILES”, enter your username and password, choose “Mock Exam” from the dropdown menu and click download. After the file is downloaded click the “Take Exam” button, select the mock exam from the dropdown menu and click “Start” to begin the exam. This enables you to familiarize yourself with the SofTest exam environment.
2. Examination Services Practice exam (built into SofTest)
After registering SofTest, launch the program by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your Windows Desktop. Click the “Download Exam Files” button. Log in using your My SGU credentials and select the “Examination Services Mock Exam” button. Once the exam has been downloaded you may use the practice exam up to twenty times.
What should I do prior to exam day?
SofTest on the computer you intend to use on exam day by the deadline
1. Ensure that your computer:
a. Meets the
specifications listed above
b. Has at
least 1GB of free hard drive space
c. Is virus
Is free of disk errors. (E.g. Windows PC users can check by running SCANDISK -
Click Start Button --->Programs --->Accessories --->System Tools
--->Scandisk or Disk Cleanup)
you are unsure, please contact the IT Department for assistance
2. Once you have installed and
registered SofTest, familiarize yourself with the software by taking the mock
exam or utilizing the built-in practice exam
3. SofTest’s opening screen asks for a
username and password. You will need to enter the username (e.g.
sgu.edu\jsmith) and password that were used to register SofTest in this ID
4. Download the exam when you receive
notification of its availability by the faculty. If you have problems with
downloading the exam, notify your faculty
5. Locate your AC/battery power
indicator light on your laptop to determine which light indicates you are
running on AC power (i.e. power from a wall outlet). This is to make certain
that you are connected to AC power during the exam
6. Ensure that your battery has at
least 20 minutes of charge in it prior to the exam in the event there is a
temporary power outage
7. If you encounter issues in your use
of SofTest, create a SHOR ticket at https://shor.sgu.edu.
What should I do on exam day?
Bring your power cord, battery (in the event of power loss), and an extension cord. If you normally use an external keyboard and mouse or if you need earplugs, you may bring those as well.
- To download exams users must have the sgu.edu\username and password used to register SofTest
- Arrive to the exam room at least 30 minutes early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer and follow the instructions provided
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam scores at the end of the academic year
- Immediately before SofTest launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning
- Exams will not be delayed or suspended due to computer problems
- During the exam, use care when highlighting and deleting
- Take the time to become familiar with their laptop computer and the exam software. No administrative relief will be granted for incorrect use of the software
Any attempt to disable or tamper with SofTest’s security features will be considered a violation of the student honor code. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with your equipment and the softest software and instructions provided by Examsoft on its website prior to the start of your exam. Please allow yourself sufficient time to become familiar with your laptop and the application. Commencement of the exam will not be delayed due to a hardware problem with your lapto.